I have been learning C++/Elixir recently and I’ve made a distributed port scanner & and a streaming platform with Elixir (what an amazing language to work with) and some fun in C++ (also super cool to use).

I feel like I gained basic mastery of the languages, but I’ve been meaning to deepen my knowledge of them. However, I don’t know where to start now…

Can you give me ideas, open-source project that I could help, etc… ? Thanks!

• mox@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Whenever I find myself wishing for a tool to do (whatever), I habitually add its description and distinguishing features to a list that I keep for this purpose.

Then, when I want to try a new language, I already have a list of project ideas.

Not every new language is a keeper for me, so the project I choose doesn’t necessarily get finished in that language. That’s okay, because the process still gives me the real-world experience to find what I like and dislike about the language. It also leads to improved design and faster development when I pick that project up again in some other language, because I’ll have already explored the underlying issues.

• TootSweet@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Man. It must be nice not to be drowning in 30 unfinished projects with another 30 on your mind to start all the time.

Usually, if I learn a new language, it’s because it seems like the right language for whatever project I’m wanting to undertake rather than “I want to learn a language; let’s see if I can come up with a project to do in that language.”

• ericjmorey@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

A few ideas:

Try to create a service that lets you send a message over ActivityPub to a lemmy community.

Try to use Elixir to read and then flip the 3rd bit of an arbitrary byte stored in your system’s RAM.

Try to make a simple game in c++ compiled to Webassembly to be played in a browser.