• mac@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

I think the bank is smart enough to understand they were probably drunk and joking, if they were actually performing terrorist acts with the funds then they wouldn’t label them so plainly. Closing someone’s bank can cause a lot of issues in their life so it is more fair to warn them first.

• jet@hackertalks.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I agree that is the reality we should live in, I’m not so sure that’s the reality we do live in as experienced by most banking customers.

• mac@infosec.pub
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Starling are a newer bank as well and seem to be more forward thinking. An older bank may be likely to ban your account for this.

• MimicJar@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

They really aren’t. Honestly most banks don’t care what “illegal” things you do as long as you give them plausible deniability.

If you cause the bank more problems than you do bringing them in money, then they’re more likely to ban you. Even in this example they’re stating that you shouldn’t use these words, just that they are required to investigate these words.

Also if they genuinely thought you were performing illegal activities they wouldn’t tell you, they would had it off to the proper cover your ass department.

That being said, don’t actually test what words bank monitor, since, as I mentioned, if you’re a pain in the ass on purpose they’ll probably drop you, or at the very least freeze funds for a long time.

• AccountMaker@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

My bank once disabled my access to my funds out of the blue and told me to come in person because they have to check stuff like terrorist funding for each client from time to time, same thing happened to a colleague. So banks blocking you suddenly and without warning is very much a thing