Lets say contentious things about Star Trek! I’ll start!

• IninewCrow@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

If time travel is said to be impossible yet it is so easily achieved in so many story lines in Star Trek than why didn’t they just invent a safe way to travel between periods.

And if there is an eventual temporal war than everything gets destroyed and all life is wiped out in the galaxy. There would have eventually been an extremist group that would have taken the technology to it’s fullest limits and traveled back to a period when the galaxy was very young. They would have severely altered everything to the point of not making any future possible.

It always annoyed me that engineers, scientists and technicians could always find a way to travel back and forth through time “just this once because of this reason” … yet no one takes up the science to recreate the event and bake technology to purposely travel back and forth through time.

• OsaErisXero@kbin.run
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I think the shows have actually fielded this issue rather well. Temporal investigations was the start, then the timecops in Voyager and SNW. The Trek timeline is in a constant state of flux to the point that the TOS bridge and the SNW bridge are supposed to be the same place, and the fact that time travel is so easy is a great explanation for how everything in the ‘past’ and future keeps changing on the whims of producers at Paramount.

• ummthatguy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

How else do you explain Temporal Anomalies steering clear of Janeway (future/present/whenever) getting away with whatever? With exception to that incident with Sarah Silverman.

• ummthatguy@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Well, you had me until Nietzsche. If only for the association of his rhetoric with the slog that was “The Brothers Karamazov” by Dostoyevsky. As to the ongoing debate relating to each person’s influence may not be proven, I find it hard not to disassociate such a blathering tale with their mutual misguided ideals.