• @SuckMyWang@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        119 days ago

Instead of humans (a handful) spending a trillion dollars on something obscenely luxurious and unnecessary, use that trillion dollars for something necessary - research and figure out how to save the bees

• @Lesrid@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          419 days ago

They already know how to save the bees. It’s by no longer doing the things that allow them to afford mega-yachts.

• Norgur
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    20 days ago

The frickin’ bees as a species aren’t dying out. Wild bees are because they get pushed aside by cultivated ones, for fuck’s sake. Stop trying to solve problems that aren’t there and start solving the real ones.

• @orrk@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        -120 days ago

no, a bunch of “bee activists” concerned the bees are dying run massive “save the bees” campaigns, that just end is more honey bees, ironically most people hate wild bees because they look like wasps, this is literally one of those issues where public attention has backfired

• people hate wild bees because they look like wasps

Which I don’t get, because leafcutter and Mason bees are so cute! They may have similar coloring to certain wasps, but to me they just look like smaller bees with prettier colors.

If people saw how cute their little leaf taquitos were, more people would make little habitats for them.

• @quindraco@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      419 days ago

Wild bees are because they get pushed aside by cultivated ones, for fuck’s sake.

This is the weirdest take I’ve ever seen on colony collapse disorder. I get that its cause is an unsolved problem so people are apt to wildly speculate about the answer, but “caused by other bees” is a new one on me.

• Norgur
        link
        fedilink
        119 days ago

What? Like… what? I’m not in the slightest talking about that. Not ever. I’m talking about population numbers. While several wild bees are in danger of extinction, the honey bee is everything but. Yet still people get honey bees to “save the bees” which is not what this is about. The honey bees are taking the wild bees’ place in many ecological systems, pushing the wild ones out.

Here is one source, my sources are mostly in German, but this one sums it up in English:

https://www.vox.com/down-to-earth/2023/1/19/23552518/honey-bees-native-bees-decline

• @quindraco@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          119 days ago

While several wild bees are in danger of extinction, the honey bee is everything but.

I thought domesticated honeybees were in extreme peril due to CCD. This is the first time in years I’ve seen any kind of source claiming they’re doing ok. That’s relatively good news, that at least some bees aren’t about to vanish and so humanity has a nonzero chance at survival.

• @orrk@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      120 days ago

it really is ironic that you be getting downvotes for speaking the truth, so many people don’t even know the actual issue