• @Telorand@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1016 days ago

Maybe I’m missing something, but it didn’t look like the GPU was engaging at all. 15fps? That doesn’t seem right. Given that the overlay had a battery percentage reading, and the GPU readings were all zero, I’m guessing this was on a laptop, and it didn’t switch from using the iGPU to using the GPU.

Either that, or NVK has a lot of work to do, and that doesn’t track with recent news about its progress.

OP, is this your test? Can you shed light on the results?

• @warmaster@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      16 days ago

It is with a heavy heart that I have to tell you that NVK’s latest progress has little to do with performance, and that it will take years to achieve performance parity or even remotely near the proprietary drivers.

One thing that should raise morale for us all, is that Nvidia is now actively contributing to the respective FOSS drivers.

• Rustmilian
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      16 days ago

I believe you’re correct that the GPU isn’t being engaged at all. For one I highly doubt it’s NVK because it’s certified as “Vulkan 1.3 conformant” meaning it’s a complete to spec implementation. The overly also say it’s using a “NVIDIA GeForce GTX 4090 Laptop GPU”… Then it also says that there’s 0 watts being drawn from both the GPU & CPU which is extremely odd.
      Maybe it’s a driver issue?

• @RedWeasel@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        616 days ago

Nouveau doesn’t support power/load reporting yet. Some games will work better than others. Just because it is comformant does not mean it will be fast either. Comformance comes first then optimizations.

That said, it could still be running on the wrong gpu, but i don’t know. My experience when I’ve tried it on my 4080 hasn’t been mind blowing performance, but much better than before all this work started landing.

• Rustmilian
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          16 days ago

What about the proprietary driver? IDK if they’re even using Nouveau or not. NVK is apart of Mesa… Also just noticed that they’re running it under Wayland directly… And with HDR. Kinda in a very experimental area. Point is we need more specs. Would love to see a hw-prope.

• @RedWeasel@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            edit-2
            16 days ago

It is definitely Nouveau. NVK is just the Vulkan side of it. NVK is in a experimental level. I personally would not run it daily yet, ignoring the lack of some video features and dlss in games. They have made huge strides in the last couple years with it though,

Edit: He has been posting videos for a while now running NVK, btw.

• Rustmilian
              link
              fedilink
              English
              edit-2
              16 days ago

I’m aware. I’m just pointing out that he needs to publicize his specs hw-prope and that he’s stacked on 3 layers of experimental software. Nvidia on Wayland is WIP, HDR on Wayland is WIP and NVK is work in progress, even VKD3D with NVK is experimental.

• Reverse ModuleOP
      link
      English
      516 days ago

NVK is slow at the moment, yes. DX12 just started working as well and is not in mainline yet. This is with a particular PR merged.

• @Telorand@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        316 days ago

Oh really? I thought I saw elsewhere that it had achieved and even exceeded performance of the proprietary driver in another test. Maybe it was just that specific case.

• @RedWeasel@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          315 days ago

It can be fast in one test and slow in 49 on one generation and on another generation it could be faster on 10 and slower 40. Just the nature of complex software supporting various generation of hardware.