I am constantly hearing disc activity on my ds218+. In the Activity manager I can see constant read/write on the performance overview. In the task list I can’t see anything showing read/write, other than Swap, but that shows up less frequently than i hear the clicking. The RAM usage on the system is also under 50%.

Can anyone help? I am driving myself insane, trying to find the cause. I disabled the usage history in the performance monitor and all docker containers are paused.

• tmat256@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I would ssh into the machine and run commands like top, lsof and ps to try to figure out what is running and what files are being used.

• knil42@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    27 days ago

One of the first things I accepted on my DS918+ was, that disks will never be idle. So I packed many services (>20, most docker) on it + a raid1 M2 cache in front of the big raid5 (3x 8TB). access is quite low now and the power to spin the disks 24h per day is not wasted. DS918+ with 16GB M2-cache and its 4core CPU is a perfect thing to consolidate all those one-thing-solutions. I learned much by doing this. I still enjoy!
    Next I will install 2 solar panels on balcony to supply some of the “basis power”.