• pedz@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Setting up an ad blocker for a whole device often requires root. I gave up with my new phone and just have ublock origin on Firefox but that’s the point. I can’t easily install something that will modify the DNS because I have no admin access on my phone.

That’s why I also do give up on certain apps. For example I don’t like the ads in Boost so I stopped using it. Sometimes I pay for the version of an app without ads. This doesn’t happen on Linux.

Also being heavily pushed towards apps for websites like YouTube, Twitter, Reddit, Facebook… Lemmy, Mastodon… They are all “best experienced” in apps, and most of them will probably try to push you ads or make you pay.

Again, I’m relatively tech savvy so I can find other ways, but it’s still annoying and disappointing to have to constantly find ways around the system. It doesn’t happen in Linux.

Android is the enshittification of Linux.

• KISSmyOSFeddit@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Also being heavily pushed towards apps for websites like YouTube, Twitter, Reddit, Facebook… Lemmy, Mastodon… They are all “best experienced” in apps, and most of them will probably try to push you ads or make you pay.

That has nothing to do with the operating system. Just use Firefox, set it to show you the desktop version of the websites, and you’ll have the same experience as on a desktop PC.
      Except with a smaller screen size.

• Gestrid@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I just use the AdGuard app. It runs all my Internet traffic through an on-device VPN server (The VPN is the phone itself.), and it uses that to filter out all the ads.

• jbk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Setting up an ad blocker for a whole device often requires root

Private DNS since Android 9 can do that without root access afaik, like with AdGuard’s public service