• Strit
    link
    fedilink
    5215 days ago

Why are everyone suddenly aware that Neochat is unmaintained. I mean, the last commit was 3 years ago and the last release alsmost 4 years ago. Just because the git repository got archived on a date does not mean that it was maintained up to that point.

• Yozul
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      15 days ago

Most people aren’t going around checking the commit history on every piece of software they use. The git repository being archived made the Linux news rounds, so now a bunch of people are newly aware. It’s not complicated.

• @john89@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      315 days ago

How does that make it dead?

Do they just need to update it for the sake of updating it?

• TimeSquirrel
        link
        fedilink
        2315 days ago

Libraries and APIs are a moving target. Eventually it won’t run on modern systems anymore without modification.

• @john89@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          15 days ago

Yeah, but if it hasn’t reached that point then is it really dead?

Edit: Instead of downvoting me, consider this. What if the only update this program receives in years is one to make sure its still compatible with the libraries and APIs you refer to? Would that make it alive, or dead?

It seems like you guys are advocating for updating just for the sake of updating, also bandwagoning a bit.

• Yozul
            link
            fedilink
            1115 days ago

Neofetch is literally a bash script. There aren’t any libraries or APIs it depends on, and there is basically no chance of it not working in the future. Some people just like to try and sound smart.

The actual problem with Neofetch is that it’s not being updated with new ASCII art for new distros, and not adding new options to show things like a line for display server or other things some people might be interested in. It’s just getting out of date in regular boring ways.

• @Static_Rocket@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        1115 days ago

I don’t get people being worried about an offline application designed to run one shot as the current user not receiving updates. I do get maintainers dropping the package from package repos now that it is officially archived though…

• @potkulautapaprika@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    1515 days ago

I had no idea ppl actually cared about any fetches, not like it stopped working though. Just a guess but it’ll work for a good while, because it’s a damn fetch script:D

• @KindaABigDyl@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    15 days ago

I’ve been using a custom version of paleofetch for NixOS for a while, but I decided to write my own clone of neofetch in Rust when I heard about the archival just for fun.

It has (or I suppose will have) parity with everything neofetch can output, supports dynamic plugins, is super fast bc compiled, and looks up information using asynchronous fetches. It’s configurable via a config file (JSON) to choose what you want to show (I think this is better than using CLI options for this kind of app).

I have the app’s framework/architecture up and running, I just need to finish implementing the rest of the data lookup and add more distro logos.

Once I get the data lookup feature complete, I’ll make the repo public so people can add their distros’ logos and use it, but I’m treating this as more of a pet project, so I doubt people will be that interested in using/contributing since plenty of other fetch programs exist, so I don’t care if it lives or dies; it’s just fun to make things :)

Tenatively named fetch-rs, but I’m sure something like that already exists.

• f00f/eris
    link
    fedilink
    English
    915 days ago

Wasn’t screenfetch the thing neofetch was supposed to replace? Apparently it has more recent development activity (5 months ago), anyway…

• 柊 つかさ
    link
    fedilink
    815 days ago

I tried fastfetch which was very fast, but didn’t work correctly for me. It told me I had 16 flatpaks installed, but I don’t even have flatpak! On another preset it gave the wrong number of pacman packages installed. The coloured bars also rendered with visible seams in between because it uses characters instead of colouring the background. It also didn’t show my terminal font at all. I can’t open issues because I didn’t bother to activate 2fa on my github account. I ended up writing a simple fetch for fun, it shows pacman and rust packages, learned a few things about terminal escape codes.

• NekuSoul
      link
      fedilink
      415 days ago

[…] I didn’t bother to activate 2fa on my github account. I ended up writing a simple fetch for fun, …

I’m not judging, but reading those two lines back to back is pretty funny.

Also good to know what causes those seams. I’ve noticed it in some consoles, but never bothered to check why exactly that is.

• 柊 つかさ
        link
        fedilink
        215 days ago

I guess that is pretty funny, didn’t notice it while writing lol. When it comes to those seams, I think it depends on your font whether it will have seams or not. Colouring the background is more consistent in my experience.