• eee@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I’m still waiting for them to change the godawful quick toggles. Not only do the quick toggles take up so much space now (it almost feels like accessibility mode is on by default), Wifi and Mobile Internet are hidden behind a second layer of toggles.

• Chemical Wonka
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Dex mode is awesome , the hardware of Galaxy is nice too but unfortunately I cannot install a private ROM like GrapheneOS or Calyx, for me this criteria is above all benefits that a Samsung Galaxy can offer me

• Decentralizr@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

That is a sad reality when it comes to samsung. Beat you can do is adb the apps away you don’t want, and use rethinkdns (firewall) combined with the dns of them, nextdns or decloudus.

Is not GrapheneOS, but it’s a little more private as out of the box.

• Chemical Wonka
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            11 months ago

I have a Galaxy Flip 4 too that I earned from my company and I did exactly what you said.

• HurlingDurling@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

I mean, you can… But doing so will break Knox for ever and the only way to get it back is to replace the entire motherboard on the phone.

• hark@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Your wish is granted. From the article: “One of the biggest differences between Android 14 vs Android 13 is that the new update now blocks older Android apps from being installed. Google says this change specifically targets apps built for Android 5.1 Lollipop APIs and older.”

• MrFlamey@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I just wish they would fix the back gesture to never take me back to the home screen, or at least give me that as an option. It’s the one thing that frustrates me to hell on an almost daily basis when I’m using Android. I don’t need another gesture that takes me to the home screen, and especially not one that often closes the app I was looking at altogether, meaning it needs restarting.

• fabian_drinks_milk@lemmy.fmhy.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I think that the predictive back gesture feature will help a lot with this. When you swipe back from the screen edge, the animation will show the screen you’re going back to, making it predictable. But having the option to disable the back gesture from sending you to the home screen would be great to have. There’s nothing wrong with having more options.

• lolcatnip@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Seems like a problem with the apps to me. I may be wrong, but I believe the back gesture just sends a message to the app, which can do anything it wants in response. If the app decides to close itself, there’s not much the OS can do about it.

• Diabolo96@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

They probably worked towards these two goals of Google : We made it even harder to do anything without using our property crap, yet again./ made side loading impossible or we’re making it more difficult cause we want you use our app store only. All For security of course.

• lolcatnip@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Maybe read the article instead of just making shit up and getting mad about it. It specifically calls out a feature that’s rumored to be in the works (emphasis mine):

An update ownership feature that allows a third-party app store to be the sole source of automatic updates for a given app. It looks like Google will harness this feature for select Google apps too.

Kind of the opposite of what your speculation says, no?

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Are you seriously defending a company that want to (forcefully ) push DRM on webpages ?

Secondly, It’s the Freaking UE forcing those bastards to open up, they’re not doing it because it’s better for the user. I don’t need to read any article, every time i update to a new version of crapdroid, nothing changes, it eat more ram and battery and is locked further. (for security reasons, of course )

Don’t montion IPhone, i don’t want to be considered too stupid to use my stuff correctly thank you.( a legit apple stance )

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            11 months ago

Bro. Did you even read what i said ? It’s a personal experience. Am a power user and know shit being done to make it harder to install. I have an old phone on android 7 and one on 12 and it definitely became harder to sideload and update apps.

• fabian_drinks_milk@lemmy.fmhy.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I just want to see what makes it into the AOSP how the custom ROMs will implement these features. At least these privacy features are benefiting privacy focused ROMs as well.

• donio@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

New Android versions are not about the new features. It’s about “what functionality and apps am I losing this time?”

• mindlight@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

It’s a joke mentioning “Android” and “Privacy” in the same sentence.

Google can add whatever permission structure and features they way but as long as you, the owner and use of the service, is not allowed to set whatever permissions and/or remove whatever apps you like you do not have any privacy.

I’ve owned q Android phones as my personal phone since my first Galaxy S3 but I don’t have any illusion regarding privacy as long as Google and Samsung are the true masters over my device.

For example…The devices sold today are fully capable of even firewalling on app level so that the user would be able to control exactly what hosts the Chinese app he/she installed is able to talk to.

But noooo… Who would want such an feature?

• mindlight@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

First: I run LineageOS on my S5.

With that said: With market share of less than 3 million out of the billions of Android devices sold I’m pretty sure it doesn’t matter how good Lineageos is in this discussion.

How many different devices are officially supported by Lineageos? 150? How many different devices have official LineageOS support offered by the hardware vendors?

My point is that LineageOS is not an alternative if I’m not an enthusiast or I’m not willing to risk getting into a heated discussion about warranty if my device breaks.

Furthermore, since not even Google release open source drivers for their devices there is only so much LineageOS can do when the hardware vendors decides a certain Android version is the last version supported on a device.

So just because I can put together my own version of privacy first Android it doesn’t mean I can actually run it on my device.