• TrickDacy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

I mean, does OP not understand that upgrading their desktop environment outside the distro packages was risky? I feel like minimal software experience tells you that… A VM would’ve made perfect sense there

• RidcullyTheBrown@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

can you explain how testing this on a VM would have helped me with my issue on my day to day computer? Let’s say that the problem was solved in the latest release, what good would a VM do? Maybe i didn’t make myself clear, the message was not an attempt at debugging the situation. That dev just told me that the team is not interested in bugs reported on older versions and I should just upgrade.

• TrickDacy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

It could have helped you by giving you the knowledge of where the issue was. If it was fixed by the update in the VM, you would know that and could then wait for your distro to get the update or even contact the distro community with that knowledge.

I get that it was frustrating but it truly wasn’t their job to tell you how risky that move was.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

I know perfectly well what upgrading the shell means. You are missing the point entirely. This dev community does not accept bug reports on older versions even if they’re in use by a lot of people and then when they’re reported on the latest version and they’re acknowledged, they tell the reporter to piss off.

it’s not that the issue wasn’t fixed that got me to give up on Gnome, it’s the fact that a known issue was closed with no resolution even after I gave a patch as a workaround. This is why I am done with them.

• TrickDacy@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            2 months ago

I’m not missing the point. I understand their policy and it makes sense to me. They cannot really afford to be supporting not only older versions but their implementations in random distros. That’s all they’d ever have time for if they did.

I don’t think you mentioned the patch before, and that part is shitty, but if you blamed them for borking your system… that combined with the constant annoyance of people complaining about a free product, I can see them not being willing to help further.

KDE looks like trash to me, like an unstable nightmare. The other desktops don’t seem great to me either. So I’m sticking with gnome for the foreseeable future

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              2 months ago

constant annoyance of people complaining about a free product

Yes, this is the attitude right here. This is the one that people complain about. People are not “complaining”, people are reporting issues. And it’s not free software if it’s being gatekept by entitled assholes

• TrickDacy@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                2 months ago

You’re being defensive about that but I don’t know that you did that and didn’t say you did. You understand that all support receives irrational and angry requests right? It must be hard to deal with, especially if people are being demanding. This is not to say you were doing that but it is to say I understand the mindset of people enduring that. “Oh this guy told us we broke his system, yeah don’t worry about that one.”