Foldable smartphones have reached their fifth major generation, as heralded by Samsung’s Galaxy Z Flip 5 and Fold 5…

For me it’s definitely the durability concerns. I’ve valued my phone’s water and dust resistance since getting an ip67 phone years and years ago. My brother had a flip and a grain of sand in his pocket got under the display; when he closed the phone the display died. And they expect me to pay more for the privilege.

• CyprianSceptre@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Nobody’s mentioned it, but the main thing for me is that the screen aspect ratio isn’t any good.

I’ve always preferred bigger screens and bigger phones and willing to pay a bit extra for a foldable screen now they’ve been on the market for a while. I doubt they’ll last as long as a normal phone screen, but they generally review well and I get they impression they are more durable than most people expect.

But… the main benefit of a big screen (for me) is for watching videos. If it’s not 16:9 (or close to it) then what’s the point? I don’t need to multitask on my phone, I’ll switch to a laptop for that - I’ve had phones that do split screen for years and it was a cool gimmick for a while, but I’ve never really made good use of it.

If anyone can tell me of a phone with a big screen and 16:9 aspect ratio then I’d be willing to reconsider…