• Sean Tilley@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

It’s an interesting and frustrating problem. I think there are three potential ways forward, but they’re both flawed:

1. Quasi-Centralization: a project like Mastodon or a vetted Non-Profit entity operates a high-concurrency server whose sole purpose is to cache link metadata and Images. Servers initially pull preview data from that, instead of the direct page.

2. We find a way to do this in some zero-trust peer-to-peer way, where multiple servers compare their copies of the same data. Whatever doesn’t match ends up not being used.

3. Servers cache link metadata and previews locally with a minimal amount of requests; any boost or reshare only reflects a proxied local preview of that link. Instead of doing this on a per-view or per-user basis, it’s simply per-instance.

I honestly think the third option might be the least destructive, even if it’s not as efficient as it could be.

• Quacksalber@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

As I understand it, 3) already happens. What causes the load is that each connected instance is also loading and caching the preview.

• chiisana@lemmy.chiisana.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Or 4) Ignore noise and do nothing; this is a case of user talking about things they don’t understand at best, or a blog intentionally misleading others to drum up traffic for themselves at worst. This is literally not a problem. Serving that kind of traffic can be done on a single server without any CDN and they’ve got a CDN already.