Makes me wonder about what other amazing things are out there that I’ll never find just because of bad luck. Gives me anxiety sometimes

• @ShunkW@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1614 days ago

I’ve been doing cyber security for years now. Back in the pandemic, I found a talk about using elevators for physical penetration tests. Went down the rabbit hole and now I can tell you a lot about an elevator just from the up and down buttons in the lobby lol.

• schmorp
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1514 days ago

For me it’s learning stuff, especially DIY and crafts. I just can’t resist, as much as I try to remain only with the things I already do.

• @RemotedeckOP
    link
    English
    714 days ago

The most recent one for me is the book genre of progression fantasy. I saw a post about a book series called cradle a bit ago and by now I’ve read over 40 books in the genre.

• @knightly@pawb.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      314 days ago

That’s how I got sucked into scifi serials a few years back. It’s like soap operas with spaceships and I can’t believe I’m into this now. XD

• @cetra3@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      214 days ago

Any books you’d recommend besides cradle? I just finished the mistborn trilogy, and while it’s not strictly progressive fantasy, I need another thing to scratch that itch

• @RemotedeckOP
        link
        English
        214 days ago

I know the feeling, I actually made a spreadsheet of people’s recommendations to help find that next read

Beware of chicken, is one of my favourites, it’s a parody and it’s very fun

Iron prince, I liked this one

Mother of learning is a fun timeloop trip

The captain, not strictly progression fantasy but it’s written by cradle author and its fantastic

Dungeon crawler carl, also a parody and it’s fun

The primal hunter is pretty okay

Portal to nova roma is pretty okay, I enjoyed it but it’s not the best

Soulhome is another one that is pretty okay, I enjoyed it

• @jaycifer@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        114 days ago

I’m a big fan of the Completionist Chronicles and its preceding series Divine Dungeon. The main character flip flops between slightly sociopathic and good, but the progression system is really open-ended while still following s consistent set of rules that are easy to understand.

• DiploRaucous
      link
      fedilink
      English
      113 days ago

Oh, like the Cleric’s Quintet, I loved that series! I should look for some more like it now that I know an overarching term for the genre… … Wait a minute - I see what you’re doing here 😐

• Clay_pidgin
      link
      fedilink
      English
      114 days ago

How is that different from LitRPG? I have read some LitRPG by Xander Boyce because he’s in my EVE Online alliance, and enjoyed them.

• Clay_pidgin
          link
          fedilink
          English
          113 days ago

Sort of! I’ve been subscribed but inactive for about a year. I’m in HR so I haven’t been purged yet, but it’s only a matter of time.

• セリャスト
            link
            fedilink
            English
            213 days ago

Oh! I was in TEST then PH a long time ago, stopped playing after the last lockdown in my country

• @RemotedeckOP
        link
        English
        214 days ago

Litrpg is a subset of progression fantasy. It’s like beans and legumes

• @retrolasered@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    314 days ago

Someone loaned me a copy of philip k dicks the reader last year. I already loved cyberpunk and dystopic cinema, and seeing where a lot of those plots originated and the writing style got me hooked. Ive read sooo many SF and cyberbunk novels over the last year because of it.

I hadnt read fiction for years, back in college I read will self and william burroughs, which in hindsight probably falls under the same umbrella. I didnt have an internet device back then so it was only what I found in the library and not a lot really held my attention. Glad someone who knew me said hey, youll probably like this.

• @ordellrb@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    113 days ago

I saw only memes on reddit of JoJo, and now i have watched till part5 and read all parts after it and various Oneshots. Now i wait till the Author makes more. And yes it was quite an obsession for a while, all thanks to a few memes. years later: ok lets watch that newish Rodriguez Movie: Alita. A few months later: i have consumed all content (2,5 long Mangas series) and am up to date and again. So Yes its: i see a small snipped and now i wanna know every Part of the Lore.