I find the only app in F-droid very lacking, and the couple I tested from the PlayStore lacked many of the technically available controls you can see on IRDB, Global Cache, JP1, etc.

I am seriously surprised there is no open source Android IR remote app that can truly put everything to shame, given that the info is out there. I may contact a friend of mine for a new Android app…

• @Teknikal@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    13 days ago

Smart Ir was the perfect ir app, but yeah I think they shelved it when the hardware went mostly away on phones.

Sucks we are going backwards and being charged more for the privilege.

I honestly though all phones would have night vision cameras and similar by now but yeah In 5 years we will be lucky if they can make phone calls

• ladfrombrad 🇬🇧M
    link
    fedilink
    English
    513 days ago

No doubt, and there used to be an app called “all for one IR remote” or something like that that I can’t find from a cursory skim.

It allowed programming of codes from your existing remotes and also the bonus of using a URI for a IR code which then meant you could fire them off with other apps.

Problem these days is the hardware that supports IR Blasters is controlled by the likes of Xiaomi, and the apps available to use said hardware is limited to in-built system apps :/

• @unknowing8343OP
      link
      English
      113 days ago

I downloaded DivestOS IR remote app and I can use it no problem on my Unihertz… I don’t think it’s locked up at all.

• Fubber Nuckin'
        link
        fedilink
        English
        111 days ago

Unihertz is awesome. I wish there was a phone like the jelly star but non-tiny as i like big screens.

• @Riven@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      713 days ago

That’s probably the reason why there aren’t any truly good apps out there. Similar to how phones don’t even have radio antenas anymore. I miss being able to use my old phone with a speaker for the drive in theater. Had to get a new radio Bluetooth speaker to replace it.

• petrescatraian
        link
        fedilink
        513 days ago

@Riven Probably phones without headphone jacks are those that can no longer be used as regular FM radios - as the antenna was actually the headset (at least that’s my experience) - and another reason why phones without the jack suck. Never had a phone with a built-in FM antenna FWIW.

But yea, I do get your point. Phones could do so much more than accessing Facebook, Instagram and posting photos there or something like that.

• @Riven@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          213 days ago

Not just those, iirc it’s some sort of chip that is no longer put into phones cause of money reasons. I’ve only owned phones with a jack slot and my current phone doesn’t have fm capabilities, I’ve checked.

• petrescatraian
            link
            fedilink
            313 days ago

@Riven Yea, it also needs the software. Here in Romania, every phone I’ve owned had an FM Radio app preinstalled, including the current one. Didn’t try any jackless phone to see if it’s there as well, and if yes, how does it work.

• @I_Miss_Daniel@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    213 days ago

I’m using a cheapo Antsig smart IR thing instead of my phone. They seem to work with most things I’ve tried to pair them with.

I know it’s not what you’re asking for really, but might be a useful option depending on your use case.

I use them to control the aircon, tv (on / off / aspect reset etc) and stereo volume.

Last time I tried to find a decent universal IR app on the play store, they all seemed to suck. Mind you, that was for my note 3 a few months ago.