It’s excruciatingly obnoxious to have to rely on third party sources for what should be a first-party feature.

Like, I select all and then search a query. “Oh no, nobody on your server used a third party service to find it, so you won’t see it here.”

Like, how short-sighted is that, really? If I search for a string in the ‘all’ servers, I should have a list of ‘all’ the servers containing that string.

It’s a really simple concept. Not sure why this post even has to be made, but I’m wondering if there’s something I can do to make these ‘features’ more intuitive.

• Waraugh@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

So many options, doing none seems lazy. I can source all kinds of lists for my pihole to block traffic. I can put a lot of repos in my yum.conf. It’s not like this should be reliant on any one single source of truth. There could certainly be an open source list maintained. I’m surprised this is considered such a difficult problem with so many smart folks involved, I’m obviously really ignorant to how this stuff works. I just don’t get how a problem that seems to have been solved across a litany of technical products using shared sources in defederated environments is such an exotic hurdle here.

• PupBiru@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

okay so now you have a decentralised list with 1000 servers on it. does your instance… make 1000 requests when you search?

• Waraugh@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Lists can be cached and updated. Even if posts from all doesn’t include all active content it would be very manageable to have queries include communities across instances based on names and other fields. All this shit is already solved problems.