• LesserAbe@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

You’re right about buying new cars.

That said, no car is an investment, in terms of it appreciating in value. I’m sure you know that just I’ve seen some comments along those lines when people talk about electric cars depreciating.

I would never buy any vehicle that’s 10-20 years old if I have any other options available. A lot of shelf life used up at that point.

I bought a used 2023 bolt this year with only 5k miles on it. My previous car was a new 2008 Kia and I figured out with inflation I paid about the same for that one as I will for this one.

I’ve been very happy with it so far.

• rekabis@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

I would never buy any vehicle that’s 10-20 years old if I have any other options available.

If you cared anything about your personal privacy, you wouldn’t touch anything made after 2006 (and a surprising number of vehicles after 1996). They all have black boxes that record all of your driving history, and many models squirt that data back up to the corporate mothership to have your personal and private driving behaviour monetized without your consent. Plus, even what stays on your car is encrypted such that you have zero access to it, and your insurance company can trivially gain access to that data to weaponize it against you in case of an insurance claim.

I would never take a post-2006 vehicle even if it was free, except to immediately re-sell it. Modern vehicles make the Stasi’s surveillance system look like rank amateurs.

And yes, I work in the security end of IT.