• Avid Amoeba
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1713 days ago

Wow, exciting news in the world of RAM! We don’t get those every day anymore. 🥹

• rem26_art
    link
    fedilink
    1313 days ago

thats really good news! I hope it catches on. Soldered RAM really is an annoyance

• @seaQueue@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1012 days ago

This is v2 of the CAMM spec and it’s awesome. They’ve solved all of the major issues that were causing laptop mfgrs to solder ram directly to the motherboard and they’ve nailed the biggest problem with v1 which was the ease of damaging the CAMM connector pins. Apparently you could wreck the v1 connector with compressed air if you weren’t paying attention, which makes tool-free connector replacement in v2 a great addition.

• @Plopp@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1713 days ago

Maybe in a near future you’ll once again be able to upgrade your laptop RAM whenever you want. The current trend is for RAM to more and more be soldered onto the motherboard which prevents you from upgrading it.

• mihies
        link
        fedilink
        513 days ago

AFAIK with Apple it is even part of the SoC, not even soldered.

• @barsoap@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          12 days ago

Part of the SoC makes a lot of sense but I’d still like to have an expansion option. Or, well, actually, maybe connecting it up via PCIe might be sufficient, latency is going to take a serious hit but if there’s gigabytes of HBM on the chip acting essentially as cache it’s probably fine for pretty much all practical workloads. Gigantic memory requirements don’t tend to come with purely random access patterns.

OTOH that definitely puts the “N” in “NUMA”. I doubt any OS but Linux could deal with the thing sanely.

• @Vince@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      813 days ago

Laptop ram hasn’t changed in 25 years, the slots are bulky and not efficient. New laptops need ram closer to the CPU, so they are soldering them on the board, fast and efficient but not upgradable. New slot, more efficient, upgradable, better for consumers so hopefully laptops use this new standard.

• Vik
      link
      fedilink
      English
      712 days ago

These newer modules are lower profile than SODIMM, and do not carry the same frequency/ throughput and latency limitations. LPCAMM effectively eliminates the need to solder RAM to mobile platform main boards, though we’ll see how vendors react.

• @hahattpro@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    -113 days ago

Nowadays, if you build a desktop, you get 6 slot of RAM.

If you buy a laptop, you get 1 slot, and have to buy a single expensive 32gb ram to replace the old one. If you unlucky enough, you can have onboard RAM with no way to upgrade.

Yeah dudes. That is how apple work. And my Lenovo only have 1 slot of 16gb Ram, to get 32 gb RAM i got to buy it at Lenovo center because it is so rare no repair shop or store have it on hand.