As if the Prime Video app couldn’t get any worse.

• Saik0@lemmy.saik0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

When presented this way, it reads like some arcane incantation to summon some demonic monster…

Or I guess in this case to summon pirates.

• borari@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

No need. Usenet traffic is ssl encrypted and is just a client/server relationship, there’s no sharing/seeding. Also people still technically use usenet for text posts, so it’s not like a connection to a usenet server can get you in trouble in and of itself. I mean pulling down like 40-100GB in a weekend when I add a new show with tagged with my 4K DV/HDR Remux profile is pretty suss, but prove that shit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

I mean I’m not aware of anyone who has ever been prosecuted for downloading from a provider in the entire history of its existence. So whether or not they keep logs I’m pretty comfortable with it, yeah.

If we’re going to get into hypotheticals like that you shouldn’t pirate anything ever. If the cops banged on my door with a warrant I could easily flush a ten strip and some mdma before answering the door. I’m not degaussing 80+TB of media before they take my door off its hinges.

• kaputter Aimbot@feddit.de
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

Wouldn’t encrypting the drivers and shutting it all down by a single button press work just like flushing the loo?! 🤔

And it all will still be recoverable, but by you only.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                2 months ago

I mean yeah. I’m not worried about the cops serving a warrant on me for downloading pirated media though, so my NAS isn’t encrypted.

• marx2k@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            2 months ago

Your chances of this is about the same as the VPN provider being compromised of not lower.

Have you ever heard of anyone at all get in trouble for using usenet due to the provider being compromised?

Hell, most providers have a European endpoint. Just use that if that paranoid.

• yeehaw@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              2 months ago

Citation on the first paragraph 😂. Both are definitely weak points. Personally I just yolo torrents on my own IP. The only thing that happens here is an angry letter in the mail anyway. Only time I ever got one was when I redeployed Medusa and I oopsed and had public trackers enabled from the default config.