link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

What ever happened to SteamOS?

It’s still going strong! https://store.steampowered.com/steamos

Personally, I just like to install Debian or Ubuntu as the OS, and then install the Steam launcher:

https://www.linuxcapable.com/how-to-install-steam-on-debian-linux/

I think the outcomes are pretty similar, for an average user. But I find it a bit easier to search for help about other things I want to do with Debian/Ubuntu.

I say Debian/Ubuntu a bunch of times here because, while I like Debian a bit better, there’s tons of help articles out there for Ubuntu, and 99% of them work perfectly on Debian.

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Personally, I just like to install Debian or Ubuntu as the OS, and then install the Steam launcher:

Then you don’t get Gamescope, which is kind of a big deal.

And less importantly the direct-launch into Big Picture Mode.

• ogeist@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

You can set up the boot directly into Big Picture, there are a couple of ways depending on your needs/expectations.

Gamescope did not work for me, I have been gaming exclusively in Linux since proton was published but any time I try to get gamescope working it behaves strangely. I blame my Nvidia card but it’s hard to say.

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Sure, Gamescope is the big one. But part of SteamOS is that all of that comes configured out of the box.

Nvidia is probably the problem.

• MajorHavoc@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Good points!

I use my current one as a PC as much as for gaming.

I’ll keep that in mind when I build my next dedicated game rig, though!

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

The whole point of SteamOS is the controller-first interface. If you’re not interested then it’s not for you.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

Yeah. That’s why I run the Steam client on Ubuntu. Which works a treat, thanks to the popularity of the SteamDeck.

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Gamescope is a graphical compositor. It gives you all those neat side menus on Steam Deck.

SteamOS is not for desktops. It’s intended to make your PC into a controller-friendly console for the couch.

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

didnt they work on a desktop version for steam os?

Yes they launched SteamOS as a downloadable originally alongside Steam Machines. But alas the current official Steam version is not available for anything other than Steam Deck.

Wouldnt it help with getting people to switch from windows to linux?

I’d certainly think so, much in the way that Android did.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

I’m not sure about GameScope,I didn’t even realize I was missing out on it.

Big picture is the full screen controller friendly interface, in case you don’t want to connect a mouse and keyboard.

• AndrasKrigare@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I don’t think it’s still going strong. SteamOS 2.0, the Debian based one that was on the old steam machines has been discontinued and is no longer supported. SteamOS 3.0, on the deck, is Arch based and is not yet officially supported on anything other than a Steam Deck.