• Captain Aggravated
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1912 days ago

Okay, what’s the catch? Doesn’t work on North American networks? Touch screen doesn’t work so you have to carry around a keyboard, mouse and USB hub? Doesn’t send or receive calls?

• @Peer
      link
      912 days ago

Calls and texts are not listed as supported. I wouldn’t be surprised if they do not work. Just have a look a PostmarketOS support. Most phones cannot make phone calls.

• haui
        link
        fedilink
        1111 days ago

PostmarketOS has come a long way. In opposition to proprietary stuff they depend on people contributing which most people dont bother doing (translations, documentation, code).

That said, if you look here the majority of community supported devices lists calls as working.

To give this more perspective, I‘m working on a OnePlus6 with PostmarketOS at the moment and trying to make it userfriendly. Its a lot of work and in my case far too advanced for a regular user but contributing in general isnt ans the phones are developing.

The important part about postmarketOS is that you can finally own your device, unlike with android and ios and even after support ends unlike grapheneOS afaik. Obviously you still have proprietary blobs for modems and such but YOU can be the person that changes this.

So yes, I‘m a fan. Have a good one. :)

• @Peer
          link
          211 days ago

Thanks so much for your efforts. I own a phone solely for testing PM, so not a hater at all. More disappointed in hardware manufacturers showing so little support.

• haui
            link
            fedilink
            411 days ago

Great to hear it. Imo, they have no incentive of doing so. If a country decided that sale of open source hard and software was tax free or at least reduced, we would be seeing it multiply like rabbits.

• Captain Aggravated
        link
        fedilink
        English
        511 days ago

I hate the telephone as much as the next guy my age, but it’s still quasi-mandatory to have a functioning telephone to exist in this world. Like…why’d they bother mentioning it in public in this state?

• @Peer
          link
          411 days ago

Someone wrote this article based on a commit in the source code. This is not news.

• slurp
      link
      fedilink
      812 days ago

No headphone jack is one potential catch

• @lemmy_user_838586@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      12 days ago

Yeaaah… This has to have some catch because if not, this might finally be the phone I’ve been waiting for.

“Unfortunately, WiFi isn’t yet functional due to a firmware issue.”

Well, there’s one right there I guess, hopefully they can figure out the firmware.

With 12GB of ram, that’s absolutely more than enough to have waydroid running in the background with all the android apps I would need until the Linux app ecosystem catches up, and with mainline support, hopefully the battery life and hardware support won’t be absolutely abysmal.

I’ve never heard of this company or their previous phone, so I’m a little suspicious that their “13 exchangeable modules for the phone” are gonna have some showstopper catch in there. What are the modules for? Are we talking internal modules like soc and WiFi? Or external modules like what Motorola tried to do with an external camera modules and such?

• Captain Aggravated
        link
        fedilink
        English
        311 days ago

Yeah okay on the slim chance it makes it to market it will never reach a state of unqualified no asterisk Usable. Ignoring.

• @LemmyHead@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      111 days ago

One catch is their website is mostly in German, so support probably as well. Don’t expect decent support

• Krafting
    link
    fedilink
    912 days ago

This looks really promising, I can’t wait for people to put GNU/Linux on it!

• @sopo@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    410 days ago

Best of luck to the devs, very exiting! Here is the link to pmOS wiki to follow the progress. Caleb is working on it apparently, one of the main people we have to thank for sdm845 (like Oneplus 6) mainlining effort

• Wait, alternative to the fair phone in terms of software and reliability? Better performance than the Pine phones? Matching up to the Librems in quality?

If this comes true I’ll be the happiest ever

• @smileyheadOP
      link
      1412 days ago

Don’t forget it’s the Android-first phone with Android-first SoC. Linux support is a additional porting effort. It even is the exact same SoC as Fairphone 5.

Shift is even less popular that Fairphone and not as repairable (still they care about repairability), but at least they actively do something towards mainlining Linux unlike Fairphone that just don’t interrupt.

• AutoTL;DRB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    112 days ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

SHIFTphone 8 is the upcoming modular and easy-to-repair smartphone from Germany’s SHIFT GmbH.

This is the first major SHIFTphone update in four years and there are pending patches providing mainline Linux kernel support for this forthcoming Qualcomm Snapdragon powered modular/upgradeable smartphone.

The SHIFTphone 8 continues with being modular and upgrade friendly while being the first model having IP-certified waterproof protection.

There are hardware kill switches, 13 exchangeable modules for the phone, recycle-friendly, tempered glass screen, and other improvements over prior smartphones from this Germany company.

These patches from Linaro prepare SHIFTphone 8 kernel support for this device using the Qualcomm QCM6490 with 12GB of RAM, 512GB UFS storage, 1080p display, and hardware kill switches.

The initial Linux kernel support is enough for a frame-buffer display, integrated storage, battery monitoring, Bluetooth, and thermals.

The original article contains 208 words, the summary contains 132 words. Saved 37%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• Mario
    link
    fedilink
    19 days ago

@smileyhead If only manufacturers would go back to making phones, rather than phablets. Nothing decent on the market to buy these days.

• @smileyheadOP
      link
      18 days ago

I also want to see small phones and more phones with jack or SD slot on the market, but I’ll take mainline support over those everyday.