“I expect a semi-dystopian future with substantial pain and suffering for the people of the Global South,” one expert said.

• rayyy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

People will be fleeing famine, uninhabitable areas, rising sea levels and wars. The areas that can support life will grow smaller, more valuable and crowded.

• jabjoe@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

What worries me is that combined with anti immigrants sentiment. I fear beaches of dead as people are prevented from fleeing. I read a SciFi with that and it chilled me as I can see it happening.

• John_McMurray@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Prevented from arriving is how anti immigration works, not leaving. Jesus. Think. If you can.

• dependencyinjection
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Will we be assholes if when this happens we be like. WE FUCKING TOLD YOU THIS WOULD HAPPEN, but y’all more concerned with arguing over pronouns and protests (I support both).

• fukurthumz420@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

hear hear! please stop fighting over the petty things and get to work on the things that matter. electing a president that will fight climate change is far more important than what happens in the middle east.

• Dojan@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

I mean the ones that think that trans people shouldn’t have human rights also tend to be the ones who don’t believe in climate change so…

• neo@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

I get your frustration. I feel it myself. Still, I fear, calling people assholes won’t be helpful and prevent folks from admitting they did wrong. At the same time, it can always get worse (hotter) and I think it would be best to win as many people over as possible, to do the right thing.

I don’t know. We’re fucked anyway, I guess.

• fukurthumz420@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

mocking is pointless. most conservatives don’t care if you mock them. neutralizing their threat to democracy is the answer.