• PlantJam@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

It’s still way more awesome than cable ever was. Sure you can have all the services all at once and pay as much as a cable bill, or you can rotate your subscriptions and pay way less.

• RememberTheApollo_@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

I’m not sure about that. Popular shows get canceled, unfinished. Huge price hikes, and you can’t jump to another provider to watch the shows at a new rate or call and threaten to cancel to get a new rate. Sure, there are a few good series, but it’s still mostly crap. Sure, you can watch some older movies on demand, but plenty aren’t available, are available on some other service, and/or require you to pay a rental fee if you can find it. Prices keep climbing, ads are constantly a threat, and they place more restrictions on how many devices you’re allowed to watch on.

They are doing everything they can to re-insert the worst aspects of cable.

• abhibeckert@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

The real difference is you can watch what you want to watch on demand instead of being limited to their selection of shows on their schedule.

Also, you can sign up for a month, watch a series, then cancel and sign up to some other service. Pay for several services and sure, it’s expensive. But one or two? Still a hell of a lot cheaper than Cable ever was.

The fact most content is crap is irrelevant - there’s more good content available than any reasonable person has time to watch.

• Daft_ish@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Few good series 🧐?

I probably couldn’t list all the absolute master pieces I’ve watched since streaming became a thing. This is some serious rose tinted glasses for the cable Era.

I like reruns of Stargate and law and order as much as the next guy but cable was absolute shit when it came to compelling series.

I hope it’s just the literal flood of content we get hit with every some odd months that is warping your perception. You know, rather than the 4 month long weekly episode drops we use to have to suffer through so they could jack up prices on what ever ad they wanted to run in prime time.

That’s not even mentioning the vast graveyards of pilots for series that where DOA based solely on air time.

• Fredselfish@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I sure soon they will introduce contracts making sign up for 6 to 1 year up front to prevent just that.