I have only used Plex very briefly before I moved to try Emby then Jellyfin. Granted I am not a heavy user of a media server - basically no one else in my household uses it, and I don’t have a lot of content, but I do use sonarr / radarr with it.

The moment Plex put me off was when I realized a Plex Pass was needed to add transcoding capability. What are some of the reasons people like Plex better than Jellyfin, other than those who have been using Plex forever and are just too lazy to explore other options?

• Vittelius@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

External access is much easier to get with Plex. Not everyone can setup a reverse proxy and the process gets even harder when your ISP assigns you a new public IP address every 24 hours (like mine does)

• seemebreakthis@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah I think this would be one of the areas where Plex has an advantage over Jellyfin. Thanks for letting me know.

I managed to set my Jellyfin server up behind a reverse proxy, but yes that took a while to do.

• techwithjake@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I would suggest using a Tunnel; I personally use a TailScale funnel to reverse proxy my Jellyfin setup. No need to worry about IP address changes then. If you already reverse proxy things, use one of the other ports TS Funnel allows.

• otterpop@lemmy.fmhy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

From TailScales docs: “Traffic over Funnel is subject to bandwidth limits. They are not currently configurable.”. This is the same problem the CloudFlare proxy has, have you ran into any performance issues or throttling using funnel?

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I haven’t, no. But not many are using it currently. I would assume that bandwidth limits are more for large, terabytes of data, rather than a few hundred gigs. Could be mistaken though.

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I use both in my home but I have friends and family that use only Plex. Plex currently is much more user friendly as it has apps everywhere and is simpler to use. Having to enter an URL is already a non-starter for many non-techies.

I personally love Jellyfin even with its drawbacks and quirks. But usability and ease are what’s more important to me.

• jalim@jalim.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Plex has a client app on just about every single media player out there and they have a simple single sign on solution.

So I personally run both Plex and Jellyfin, Jellyfin for myself as I’m willing to put up with some of the hoops I have to jump through and Plex for everyone else who just gets an invite email, creates an account and suddenly has access to all of my content on every single device they own.

Once jellyfin has reliable apps on every App Store and a simple way of getting non-tech savvy users onboarded I’ll move everyone over to jellyfin. Until then, it’s just for me.

• Swimmerman96@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I personally haveb’t used Plex, but one feature they have that I’ve heard is hard to give up is automatic intro and credit skipping.

• Uninvited Guest@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

We started with Plex because the Jellyfin desktop client did not play nice with the remote that I have. I switched to Jellyfin when I set up an Android TV client, and I chose Jellyfin because of the immediate access to hardware transcoding and use on mobile devices.

But honestly, I prefer Plex’s UI (though sometimes it stutters), on the spot downloading of subtitles, and subtitle offset features. But as I start to update our library with more 4k titles, hardware transcoding is clutch.