• onehellofausername@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I dunno, I’d rather get 10 episodes per season and have all or most be bangers than have 20+ and have to wade through the subpar episodes.

• sarsaparilyptus@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Right, but at the height of TNG (and DS9, to a lesser extent) you were effectively guaranteed somewhere between 0 and 2 bad episodes a season.

• Alice@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

yeah to each their own, but my feeling was that the subpar episodes gave them time for better pacing, and character development. With these 10 episode seasons it always feels like barely getting through the overarching story, no time for subtleties or good character development and background episodes. Some of my favourite TNG/VOY episodes are the ‘filler’ episodes where the world wasn’t ending and they just had a fun adventure.

• lxskllr@mastodon.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

@onehellofausername @sarsaparilyptus

I’m pretty cool with subpar episodes. They still add to the world, and give me something to watch with characters I enjoy. Of the series I like(almost all of them), there isn’t a single episode I skip on rewatch. The “bad” ones bulk out the series and make it last longer.