Murder is okay.

• ashinadash [she/her, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Having played Bastion and Transistor when they were new, and been put way off by Pyre, it’s been so weird to watch everyone be panting UNBEARABLY FLUID-SPILLINGLY HORNY AWOOGA panting over Supergiant games lately.

• barrbaric [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Haven’t played Transistor, but IIRC Bastion wasn’t horny and Pyre was too busy being weird to get real horny, plus it flopped so nobody talks about it. Meanwhile like 2/3 of the characters in Hades are conventionally attractive and it outsold all their other games by a wide margin (I think Bastion is second place with around half the sales).

• ashinadash [she/her, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Yeah I mean I can’t blame em for rolling with it, go where the money is. Did someone just spontaneously pop a stiffy when they decided to make Hades though?

Also from Hades to BG3 to Hades II and with other junk like Stellar Blade there has been A LOT of Gamer® Horny™ lately lol

• barrbaric [he/him]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

There’s perhaps something to be said about how the increase in the varieties of horny available are increasing Gamer Horniness due to better market coverage. There’s Chud Horny, like Stellar Blade or BG3, and there’s Woke Horny, like Hades or BG3, so everyone has something to be horny about.

• Frank [he/him, he/him]@hexbear.netOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Gamers have always been horny. Hades and BG3 had really well done character writing. Stellar Blade is a whole separate thing with inchudcels losing their shit for manoswine reasons. But complicated romance plots in crpgs have been a thing for decades.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  2 months ago

I misunderstood your question. Looking back at a list off crpgs from that era yeah, i think it might have just been BGII, Planescape Torment, and Vampire.

Original answer: I guess? Is that not every romance plot or sub plot in every video game? I recall a lot of talking to Viconia about her life before coming to the surface, her struggles dealing with racism, her being a huge asshole. Jaheira’s grief for her husband and trying to figure that out. Aerie was very stereotypical naive waif from what I recall.

From what I remember there was less, idk, awooga to it than mass effect, probably bc your characters consisted of a small generic sprite and a single portrait so it was mostly reading text with very very limited voice acting for combat barks.

I also recall it being less formulaic than later games as they hadn’t settled on the talk to character - unlock loyalty quest - do loyalty quest - character now adores you loop that dominated the mass effect games and their competitors. I’ve never seen a story branch chart for the games but subjectively it seemed more complex than that, with the characters occaisionally starting conversations while you wandered around the world. This was also back before karma systems and paragon/renegade and the “yes” “yes but be an asshole about it” “no, but actually yes” and “no, but i’ll be forced to come back later” era where you could actually turn down quests, fail quests, or miss things entirely. If you pissed off people with your choices they’d leave and often not come back. If they died you had to find someone to ressurect them, which was expensive, or they stayed dead. I think some spells were an insta-kill with no ressurection possible.

This could all be rose colored glasses, i haven’t played them in decades, but a lot of the very elegant, formulaic stuff that mass effect pioneered hadn’t yet been developed so the games had somewhat more freedom to roam in your cage and the player was still allowed to make mistakes and lose.

• WalrusDragonOnABike [they/them]@lemmy.today
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I thought people just liked hades for the action rogue-lite gameplay. I’ve seen some people make horny comments about some characters, but I guess I still accidentally assume allos are joking when they’re not sometimes.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

The gameplay is fun but i’m mostly there for the characters. Without the characters it’s just a good arpg. The gods being weirdos, Meg being Meg, Eurydice and uhh… her mopey goth boyfriend whose name I can’t recall, they all make the game.