Does anyone know why OW2 may be crashing on Arch? I thought it was just me, but I went to protondb and saw more reports. The only solutions I found from historical crashing non-Arch related was for nVidia users, but I’m on AMD.

Any clue why it may be? And, more importantly, what the solution may be?

It crashes shortly after starting if that helps.

https://www.protondb.com/app/2357570

• Cosmic Cleric@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Can confirm, my WoW crashing problem is gone since doing so. At least, I changed two settings, not just the one mentioned (see below).

I had updated my BIOS version recently, and the ‘Above 4G Decoding’ and ‘Resizable BAR Support’ was turned off, instead of inheriting the previous BIOS version setting of them being turned on previously.

Anti Commercial-AI license (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0)

• oldfemboy@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

turning on resizable BAR

Can you please explain what you mean by that? ^ ^’

• Cosmic Cleric@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

EDIT: As discussed above, turning on ‘Above 4G Decoding’ and ‘Resizable BAR Support’ settings in my BIOS fixed the problem.

I had updated my BIOS recently, and the ‘Above 4G Decoding’ and ‘Resizable BAR Support’ was turned off, instead of inheriting the previous BIOS version setting of them being turned on.

Does anyone know why OW2 may be crashing on Arch? I thought it was just me, but I went to protondb and saw more reports. The only solutions I found from historical crashing non-Arch related was for nVidia users, but I’m on AMD.

Any clue why it may be? And, more importantly, what the solution may be?

It crashes shortly after starting if that helps.

https://www.protondb.com/app/2357570

Not sure if its related, but throwing this reply your way, just in case.

WoW has been crashing for me too last couple of days, consistently. Launched via Battle.net launcher.

Its weird, but the only way I can get it to not crash is by letting the first WoW session crash on startup, NOT closing the exception error message dialog or the report the crash to Blizzard dialog, and then start up a second session of WoW. That second session plays fine.

I had played first session WoW normally for a week, then stopped to have lunch one day, and when I came back from lunch and started up WoW again, this crashing crap had just started.

I tried using Bottles (both native and flatpak), Lutris, and Steam. The ‘run twice’ trick is being done on Steam (native not flatpak) using experimental. Using Fedora/KDE spin.

Not sure where to report this ‘bug’ to on the Internet. Any ideas?

Anti Commercial-AI license (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0)