• MareOfNights
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Please no, don’t subsidize anything Java-Script. It will only make it less efficient.

• ramble81@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

My thoughts on software in general over the past 20 years. So many programs inefficiently written and in 4th level languages just eats up any CPU/memory gain. (Less soap box and more of a curious what if to how fast things would be if we still wrote highly optimized programs)

• masterspace@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

Answer: there’d be far less software in the world, it would all be more archaic and less useful, and our phones and laptops would just sit at 2% utilization most of the time.

There’s an opportunity cost to everything, including fussing over whether that value can be stored as an int instead of a double to save 8 bits of space. High level languages let developers express their feature and business logic faster, with fewer bugs, and much lower ongoing maintenance costs.

• raspberriesareyummy@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

I fully concur. There’s tons of really inefficient software out there that wastes resources just because for a long time, available resources grew fast enough to just keep using more of them without the net speed of an application slowing down. If we didn’t have so many lazy SW devs, I suspect the reduction in needed CPU cycles would have a measurable positive effect on climate change.

• ChaoticNeutralCzech@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

The website title says “Arm Developer”, not “ARM Developer”, in a clearly non-acronym way so it’s a guide for making prosthetic hardware. Of course you want a cyborg arm to parse JS natively, why else even get one?

• barsoap@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

Nope it’s still a register-register op, that’s very much load-store architecture.

It’s reduced, not minimalist, otherwise every RISC CPU out there would only have one instruction like decrement and branch if nonzero. RISC-V would not have an extension mechanism. The instruction exists because it makes things faster because you don’t have to do manual bit-fiddling over 10 instructions to achieve a thing already-existing ALU logic can do in a single cycle. A thing that isn’t even javascript-specific (or terribly relevant to json), it’s a specific float to int cast with specific rounding and overflow mode. Would it more palatable to your tastes if the CPU were to do macro-op fusion on 10(!) instructions to get the same result?

• frezik@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

No, that’s not what RISC is about. There was some early attempts to keep the number of instructions low–originally, ARM didn’t have a multiply instruction, and there’s still a bunch of microcontrollers you can buy that don’t have a divide instruction–but it was quickly abandoned as it’s just not that useful. It only holds back instructions that optimize common cases. Your compiler can implement multiplication by doing addition in a loop, but that’s not very efficient.

What really worked about it was keeping a separation between how memory is accessed. You don’t have an ADD instruction that can fetch from both registers or main memory. You have a MOV instruction that can fetch from memory into a register, and you have an ADD instruction that can work on registers.

ARM still does this just fine.

• DumbAceDragon@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 month ago

I’m a computer engineering major (still a student tbf), I’m well aware of the difference between CISC and RISC, I was making a joke.

Also, I understand your point, but you should know though that a load-store architecture and a RISC instruction set are not the same thing. The vast majority of RISC ISAs are load-store, but not all load-store architectures are RISC.

• frezik@midwest.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

http://www.quadibloc.com/arch/sriscint.htm

The RISC architecture contains several common elements. Some of them are no longer present in most chips that still call themselves RISC:

• All instructions execute in a single cycle.
              • Floating-point operations, specifically, are therefore excluded.

But most of the defining characteristics of RISC do remain in force:

• All instructions occupy the same amount of space in memory.
              • Only load, store, and jump instructions directly address memory. Calculations are performed only between operands in registers.

https://groups.google.com/g/comp.arch/c/IZP5KUJprHw?pli=1

MOST RISCs:
              3a) Have 1 size of instruction in an instruction stream
              3b) And that size is 4 bytes
              3c) Have a handful (1-4) addressing modes) (* it is VERY hard to count these things; will discuss later).
              3d) Have NO indirect addressing in any form (i.e., where you need one memory access to get the address of another operand in memory)
              4a) Have NO operations that combine load/store with arithmetic, i.e., like add from memory, or add to memory. (note: this means especially avoiding operations that use the value of a load as input to an ALU operation, especially when that operation can cause an exception. Loads/stores with address modification can often be OK as they don’t have some of the bad effects)
              4b) Have no more than 1 memory-addressed operand per instruction
              5a) Do NOT support arbitrary alignment of data for loads/stores
              5b) Use an MMU for a data address no more than once per instruction
              6a) Have >=5 bits per integer register specifier
              6b) Have >= 4 bits per FP register specifier

Note that none of this has to do with reducing the number of instructions, which is what people tend to think of when they hear the name.

• barsoap@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

All instructions occupy the same amount of space in memory.

Both ARM and RISC-V have compressed instructions. Dunno how ARM works but with RISC-V the 16-bit instruction set is freely interspersable with the 32 bit one, which also get their alignment reduced to 16 bits. Gets like 95% of the space reduction possible with full variable-width instructions without overcomplicating the insn decoder.

As to addressing and loads and arithmetic: No such instructions, but every CPU but the tiniest ones are expected to do macro-op fusion for things like indexed loads. Here’s an overview.

The MMU thing… well the vector extension can do gather/scatter, I guess it could stay within the letter of “use the MMU once” but definitely not the spirit.