Young adults are throwing their support behind calls for a four-day workweek.

new national survey from CNBC/Generation Lab of 1,033 people aged 18 to 34 found that an overwhelming 81% of respondents believe a four-day workweek would boost their company’s productivity, while 19% said productivity would decline.

Those results from the “Youth & Money in the USA” survey come amid discussions around the potential benefits of switching from the standard five-day U.S. workweek to a four-day cadence without a pay cut.

Some companies have begun testing the arrangement, and say it has mitigated employee burnout and strengthened business performance.

• captainlezbian@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

And even if it didn’t, I don’t care. We’ve boosted productivity constantly and with not much increase to wages, just to inflation. The haymarket martyrs would be sad we left it at 40 hours and put up with so much shit

• givesomefucks@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

4/day workweeks would be huge for the economy, just like three day weekends are now.

People would be out spending money even if they don’t go out often with 2 day weekends.

That’s the worst part, everyone wins if we do it, and we still can’t do it.

• captainlezbian@lemmy.world
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Exactly, it would be better for us, much like higher pay, in a society where we concede we exist to serve the economy. But also, I don’t concede that, the economy exists to serve us. If it fails it must be abolished.

• bolexforsoup@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

My company instituted half days for Friday (really it’s 3-3.5hrs) 3 years ago and it still feels amazing. We all work from home that morning tidying up a few things, have an all hands meeting, then break for the weekend at lunch. It has honestly changed my life as a parent of 2. Every week I have 5 hours during a time when all business are open to do whatever I need. Doctor appointments, deep cleans for the house, laundry, whatever.

Sometimes there isn’t a lot to do, so I just get to sit the down for a minute and watch a movie or play a video game or go on a walk when it’s nice out.

It’s been life changing. Not an exaggeration. We need a 4 day work week.

• givesomefucks@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Vote progressive.

Bernie is about the only Senator and up that even talks about it.

Republicans and neoliberals will fight it out of principle that workers need to work, even tho most businesses are open 7 days a week and 4 days for full time would create a significant amount of more jobs.

• solsangraal@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

4 day work week across the board will never happen. it’s not about productivity, it’s about control. they don’t give a rat’s ass if you’re stressed, as long as you’re beholden to them. not only that, but your corporate owners can’t stand the fact that ti’s even a 40 hour week in the first place, instead of 80

• wandermind@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

There have been many changes historically where the capitalist class was forced to give up control and give in to worker demands.

As a case in point, the five-day work week and the eight-hour work day, for example.

• nodrod@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I used to work 4/10hr a week. That quickly turned into mandatory 5/10hrs, every single week.

• AmosBurton_ThatGuy@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I work 4/10 at my current job and I love it. Given the choice between 5/8s or 4/10s, I’ll always take the 4 longer shifts. We do have OT in the summer but its completely optional and nobody cares whether you do OT or not.

But I lucked out, good paying job with good bosses that actually reward people with raises/promotions for doing good, and they’re just good people in general. I just got promoted after 6 months and got a raise with it.

• IsThisAnAI@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

I’m not against a 4 day work week… but I couldn’t care less if if the respondents think they will be more productive. They might as well be asking for a preference. There are actual metrics.

• Delusional@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Wow who would’ve thought that spending less time slaving away for unfair wages would boost productivity? Crazy.

Spending 5 days dedicated to serve a company just to barely survive and then only 2 days free from the bullshit and then back at it for another 5 fucking days is just completely insane. It’s miraculous to me that more people don’t go insane from the pointlessness of it all.