I couldn’t believe that there’s only been one MBV track posted here, so here’s another from the seminal album, Loveless.

Youtube backup link

• TheFriar@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

It’s funny, I’ve never really gotten into MBV. By all accounts, I should really enjoy their music. I love YoLa Tengo, Sonic Youth, Luna, PJ Harvey, The Sugarcubes, KNOWER (similar insofar as the vocals get kinda buried back in the mix and are breathy and high), Unwound…my bloody valentine should definitely be in my wheelhouse. But…no matter how many times I’ve listened to them I just haven’t been grabbed by any of it.

There have been plenty of bands that this had happened with, and I finally listened at the right time and fell in love—who knows, that might still be possible. But after many years MBV just never did anything for me.

Can anyone recommend one song that they just feel is their go-to to recommend? It’s weird, I feel like when I listen that I could enjoy it, but…it just bores me? I don’t know why, that’s not usually a feeling I feel often with music that isn’t just standard pop fare. Still feel that way, though.

• musicislife77@mastodon.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

@TheFriar @Aesecakes my favorites are:
      Come In Alone, Only Shallow, Sometimes, Soon, Feed Me With Your Kiss, You Made Me Realise, Sueisfine, I Can See It, I Believe, Never Say Goodbye, Paint A Rainbow Glider.
      I hope you like at least one of these 😊

• perishthethought@lemm.ee
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I’m right there with you but I don’t think I’ve given MBV enough of a chance, so I’m going to today, thanks to @aesecakes.

• Aesecakes@aussie.zoneOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Try the jangle pop My Bloody Valentine? This album was a compilation of music that came out before their first Creation Records album.

Ecstasy and Wine (1989) - Yewtube or Youtube

My picks from Loveless would be Only Shallow, When You Sleep, Come In Alone but basically most of the album.

They can’t be everyone’s cup of tea, so it’s fine if you don’t get into them. I’m the same with a lot of bands. I came to MBV at a formative time in my life and they were pretty much the first “famous” band that I ever saw live, but even now, I can’t say that I listen to them all the time.