• PugJesus@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

It’s debated that it’s better to let an unfortunate scenario in which multiple people die play out - allowing yourself to stay out of the picture and not be responsible - than to take action to minimize the damage, and by doing so become part of the picture and partly responsible for the damage that does occur.

“It’s debated”, yes. Most things are debated. Looking at the trolley problem, I don’t really have any respect for anyone who thinks that a strict deontological interpretation is worth murdering four extra people.

Inaction isn’t innocence, it’s a choice like any other.

• Signtist@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Congratulations, you solved the trolley problem. I’ll let all of the philosophers of the world know so you can collect your prize… Inaction isn’t innocence, but the “right” answer isn’t innocence, either. Don’t take solace in the fact that you minimized the damage by condemning a bunch of people you don’t know to death by the very person you supported; this election will be my greatest regret in life for not doing something more to force out a 3rd option, as it should be for all of us.

• PugJesus@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

Congratulations, you solved the trolley problem. I’ll let all of the philosophers of the world know so you can collect your prize

Thanks. I didn’t realize having strong moral convictions was so rare!

• Signtist@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

Oh it’s not, it’s just rare for someone to have them while actually understanding morality.

• criitz@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

This is why I never got the trolley problem. It seems so obvious that you’re making a choice either way, and less deaths is better.