Just asking as I did exactly that and it kind of seems like it works? I would have thought there would have been some kind of checksum/key etc…

The only issue I’m really running into is that it says subscribe pending on some communities when I try to subscribe but I’m assuming that’s due to being overloaded etc…

Is there anything major that I’m overlooking?

Note: The server is personal so hijacking existing usernames isn’t an issue but I’m assuming it would be if it was populated?

• Killing_Spark@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

As for hijacking usernames: If you are able to wipe and reinstall the instance you likely have the ability to just set my password hash to something else and control my account. As a user you need to trust your home instance.

• Killing_Spark@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

As I said: you need to trust your home instance in that regard. I don’t think there is a technical solution for these problems.

• ℕ𝕖𝕞𝕠@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

So this partly happened on midwest.social, when the admin reverted to a three-day old backup. Other servers that had already cached comments from that time could still see them; those of us on the home server could not. I checked with my alt account.

• iso@lemy.lol
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I experienced it. I couldn’t subscribe to the same communities with same username.

• FunkyClown@lemmy.failOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Yeah, I have a feeling that this is the case with my server. It does seem to be communities that I was already subscribed to having issues subscribing again.

• loathesome𝕏dongeater@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

The only issue I’m really running into is that it says subscribe pending on some communities when I try to subscribe but I’m assuming that’s due to being overloaded etc…

Try refreshing the page after smashing the subscribe button