Does anyone else have this weird backspace behavior when writing comments? I would describe it like this:

When writing a comment or a post I sometimes press backspace a few times to correct a word. This will delete a few characters and then delete the space between the current word and the word before this word, resulting in: first wordsecon

Can anyone describe this in a more technical way? Is this already an issue on github? I couldn’t find it last time I looked.

• theshatterstone54@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

It is one of the oldest issues on GitHub. I assume you’re using either AOSP Keyboard or OpenBoard, beacsue so far it seems that it only happens on those keyboards. I don’t know about AOSP Keyboard, but with Openboard, in the Text Corrections section, if you disable “Show correction suggestions” it should work properly now. Link to issue: https://github.com/dessalines/jerboa/issues/194 There is a comment there from the user MV-GH who has posted a screenshot (it’s near the bottom) of the option you need to toggle off and it will work properly. If you need correction suggestions, I’d recoomend either switching the keyboard or switching the client.

• FlappyBubble@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I use GrapheneOS with stock keyboard and the issue is there. It really shouldn’t be up to the end user to change the keyboard though and the fix you describe doesn’t work unfortunately. It should be fixed on Jerboa. It doesn’t happen in other apps.

• theshatterstone54@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Really? Worked for everyone else? Also, I totally agree, but the dev doesn’t seem to have done anything. Edit: the issue arises from The keyboard, not from the app itself

• FlappyBubble@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Very strange. Works on my other phone running Samsung’s flavor of Android.not on my GrapheneOS though.

• whatever@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Thank you, that was exactly it. Using AOSP Keyboard with text correction. And thanks for the github link!

• UnfortunateShort@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Worse: When jumping back and forth sometimes the text appears at another postion than the cursor and overwrites words it for some reason considers the one you are typing.

• whatever@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Same with me. Makes writing really hard because you really don’t wont to add something later or chaos ensures.

• Hopscotch@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Yes, and it is very annoying. However it does not seem to be happening now with Jerboa 0.0.42.

Edit: This is still happening for me too, as of Jerboa 0.0.42, with the AOSP keyboard. It does not happen in any other apps.

• Hopscotch@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

@whatever and @Flyswat, you’re right, it still happens with Jerboa 0.0.42. I didn’t realize the behavior was related to the specific keyboard in use.

• dan1101@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Yes. I have found you have to tap the end of the comment to erase any spaces there, then continue typing the comment. Otherwise it will type in the middle of a sentence somewhere.

• whatever@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

As @theshatterstone54@feddit.uk suggested: Turning off auto correction (‘Autokorrektur’) solves the problem with my AOSP keyboard temporarily.

Let’s hope there will be a better fix in the future, because as a non native english speaker I rely heavily on auto correction. Changing keyboard would be annoying, my fingers just got used to this one. And changing to another client than Jerboa would be sad as well, it’s the only client on f-droid.

• ElTacoEsMiPastor@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I’ve never not had this issue while writing a comment since I first downloaded it, back to v0.0.35 around 2 months ago. Hopefully it’ll be addressed soon.

It’s quite frustrating, but I ended up being used to work around it (mainly tapping multiple times to the end of the comment). Feels like whacking an old TV to make it work.

• EunieIsTheBus@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I have a similar issue with the line break and the numbers. Double tapping it will copy the last word word If I enter a number it wil also copy it4it.