• ReversalHatchery@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I started my career as a media lawyer to protect those who made things that helped us see one another, and the truth about our shared world. Almost fifteen years ago, I co-founded and built a media law clinic to train others to do the same.

Hmm, sounds good.

I am not naive about the Internet at its worst. From the Edward Snowden disclosures to a quick trip to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, much of my career has confronted issues of surveillance — including of my own religious community.

Yeah, I like that we seem to agree.

[…] so we built an accountability journalism outlet, The Markup […] Our team imagined and made things people used to make informed choices. Blacklight, for example, empowers people to use the Web how they want, by helping them see the otherwise invisible set of tracking tools, watching them as they browse.

Oh, Blacklight, I know that’s a cool tool!

In our particular moment – as we’re deploying large-scale AI systems for the first time, as we’re waking up home pages from their long rests, and trying to “rewild” the Internet beyond walled gardens

What? Why?? Oh fucking no

We can imagine a future that centers human agency, and then we can build it, bit-by-byte.

Yeah but AI is most probably not a toolbox for that