• amki@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

So no actual cutting edge technology then. Thought so. Bye 5 billion.

• SolanumChillEse@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

5 billion dollars from the climate and transformation fund? Glad to see we’re really committed to using this money here to combat climate change by building semi conductor factories.

The greens have been an absolute joke in coalition. First Lüzerath and now siphoning funds from a climate fund to build parts for car production.

• Rayleigh@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Funny that not only conservatives and the right but also the left is blaming the Greens for everything. The KTF is used only because our finance minister is blocking spending money from other sources, same thing happened with Intel in Magdeburg. So if the economy ministry wants to support these companies, this is their only option.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Everyone is dissatisfied with the greens but it’s everyone but the greens fault somehow. What’s the point of having them in coalition when this type of shit keeps happening despite them?

They could have blocked the destruction of a 250 year old forest in Hesse and they didn’t. They sat on the sidelines while cops kicked the shit out of climate protesters in Lüzerath. They’re a fucking joke. If the FDP finance minister wants to reject building chips for cars, then let him? Don’t let them use the KTF as a fucking slush fund.

• scorpionix@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Well, so better no progress at all? Don’t get me wrong, I am also discontent with the Greens , but between an actively sabotaging FDP and a SPD which seems to move to the spot the Union is leaving for the right: What are the options? Sit down, arms crossed and stare at each other? The Greens are at least trying to do something.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

They’re politically inept. Anything they can do they half ass or don’t so they don’t make people mad, and anything they want to do are half measures that get blocked anyway. They’re one foot in and one foot out to try to appeal to as many people as possible and end up pleasing no one as a result and are now hemorrhaging votes. If they would have taken as hardline of a stance on actual climate issues as they took on supporting Ukraine, they would have actually appealed to youth voters instead of repulsing them with their appeasement. Baerbock has even said they will support Ukraine even if it becomes unpopular, so why don’t they apply the same standards to other existential crises in the same way?

Their conciliation is damaging to their brand as well as the environment. They need to do better, and I don’t think I’m alone at all in feeling that way as evidenced by their abysmal polling.

• DarkThoughts@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

What are they supposed to do if other ministries work against them? They only have so much leverage in a three party coalition.

• ƬΉΣӨЯΣƬIKΣЯ@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

What else can you use the money from the climate and transformation fund for? Every sensible use is being blocked by the FDP. So use it for something that is necessary either way, rather than let it go to waste.

• j0hax@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Keep in mind the KTF is not just purposed for climate, but also economic development in East germany. I would much prefer a chip factory in place of the current lignite industry.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

It has been in talks with the German state of Saxony, where Dresden is located, since 2021 about building a fabrication plant, or “fab.”

"With this TSMC investment, another global player in the semiconductor sector is coming to Germany.

This shows that Germany is an attractive and competitive location," German Economy Minister Robert Habeck said in a statement.

The chip giant said in its statement on Tuesday that it approved a capital injection of not more than $4.5 billion for that plant as part of the overall investment.

According to the business daily Handelsblatt, Germany has agreed to pitch in with 5 billion from the government’s climate and transformation fund for the construction.

The EU has already approved a €43 billion subsidy plan to double its chipmaking capacity by 2030.

I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• Zetta@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Um the Arizona plant isn’t having any issues, do you have a source? The only thing I can find is TSMC signed a voluntary agreement with AZ to have more oversight on construction worker safety. That isn’t a bad thing at all.

“Speaking at a press conference near the TSMC construction site in Phoenix, Hobbs announced that TSMC and the state had signed a voluntary protection program, according to AP. “Under this agreement, TSMC will adhere to requirements higher than those at the federal level,” Hobbs said.” - https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4964861

• KIM_JONG_JUICEBOX@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I just read an article here on lemmy. Can’t find the exact article but it looks similar to this

https://9to5mac.com/2023/08/07/us-tsmc-plant-petition/

the company was unhappy with US construction workers. Wants them working longer hours and lowering pay. And to bring in their own workers from Taiwan. Which is a problem because this was sold as a jobs project. Sounds like a mess to me.

• Zetta@mander.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Thanks for the info. It looks like this problem has been sorted out given TSMC agreed to whatever Arizona asked them to agree to.

• Jaysyn@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

If they can’t get one staffed in Arizona, they are going to have a hell of a time doing it in Germany. They have much better worker protections.