• nahuse@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Totally. It’s absolutely terrifying (and occasionally, very reassuring) how much a single person can impact the entire planet.

To your point about voting and democratizing foreign policy: I tend to agree with you, but I also have some reservations. I think you can observe how easily things become overtly politicized and based, based on short-term political gains. Bureaucracy and individual expertise/institutional knowledge and inertia can safeguard against some shockwaves that occur based on shorter term democratic changes. I do think that there’s plenty of space for a technocratic approach to administration, where decisions are based on longer term thinking than a lot of representative democracies reward in the political sphere.

Just to be clear: I’m defending expertise within a democratic government’s institutions, not for opaque policies or a system without oversight. I’m just saying that just as I like to have scientists leading a county’s national science organizations, I like having foreign policy experts leading a county’s foreign policy organizations.

• PugJesus@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Oh, certainly. But an active and involved population can help steer the ship back on course by democratic means when any given foreign policy bureaucrat fucks up.