• vortic@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Thanks for the context. I’m not sure why you’re being downvoted by some people. Given the timing, I don’t see that this either constitutes insider trading or implies prejudice (even if he is prejudiced). I do wonder, though, if something happened in the news cycle around August 14th that might have prompted his sale at that point. I don’t trust Alito to do anything in good faith around the subject of trans rights.

• jordanlund@lemmy.worldM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Oh, I don’t trust him either, I just don’t see anything overtly corrupt in this trade.

He was losing money on his stock, it recovered slightly, so he sold. I’ve done the same thing.

Some folks in the thread think Justices shouldn’t own stock at all, I think it’s fine so long as the companies don’t have business before the court.

• EatATaco@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Read the rest of this thread. Pretty much every other top comment is about whether they should be able to hold stocks at all. They didn’t read the article, assumed it was something they could throw onto the pile of reasons they hate alito, so anything that calls that into question must be democratically banned.