I want to get rid of them because I want to press ↑ on my keyboard to quickly get to the last item on the result list, but don’t want to have to cycle through the search icons.

None of the solutions I found online worked, so I thought I might give it a try here.

• yetAnotherUser@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Somewhat unrelated to the post: if you ever need to censor something use a black bar, not pixelation.
    It’s somewhat possible to make out a few of your searches, for example, the third one clearly reads “_Switching from Chrome to Firefox”.

• fraencko@feddit.deOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

You’re definitely right, thank you. In this case I didn’t need to really censor because there is no sensitive data, so I just used the feature from greenshot. Otherwise I would’ve used black bars.

• LamontBond@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

In settings -> search there is a table called “Search Shortcuts” and you can uncheck all of the options to remove the icons.

Screenshot:

• Zetaphor@zemmy.cc
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Open settings, go to search from the left hand menu, scroll down to the list of search shortcuts and either permanently remove the ones you don’t want, or just click the checkbox next to it and it won’t show up in the address bar.

Also that level of pixelization is easily reversed, better to just black out the parts you don’t want visible.

• Crul@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I have not tested it thoroughly, but this CSS (on userChrome.css) should do the trick:

.search-one-offs {
      display: none !important;
    }

• Vittelius@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

They are the old fashioned menu. So “file”, “edit” etc.

You can get it by pressing Alt. I’m not sure why there are icons in the menu though.

• fraencko@feddit.deOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Thanks for your suggestion, but I still wanted to have search suggestions, but I went to search settings → Search shortcuts and removed all the checks in the most left columns. That did the trick. :)