• OpenStars@discuss.online
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

It’s like all those “heat records” that supposedly “proves” that climate is “changing”.

Every single month they keep getting broken, sheesh!

figure 1

figure 2

figure 3

It looks like a conspiracy if you ask me - all those “scientists” with their… “facts”! Everyone saying the same thing all the time - it sure sounds like they are pushing an agenda to me! What if I don’t want to be educated though - did they ever stop to think about that, hrm!?

• ameancow@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Like, are we to believe it’s purely coincidence that the scientists are making these claims AT THE SAME TIME as the graphs are showing heat levels rising? seems like they’re just cashing in on a good grift! We all know how scientists are about money making schemes.

• Dorkyd68@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

How dare you provide “scientific” proofs? What do you think this is, a logical discussion?? I need someone to yell the facts at me, that way they’ll sink in more better

• Son_of_dad@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

What am I supposed to do about the climate anyways? I conserve as much as possible and a billionaire uses up my lifetime of CO2 in a day. Stop telling me i have the power to fix it cause I don’t

• Honytawk@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Be the change you want to see in the world

You can’t control others, but you can control your own life. So do what you can.

• OpenStars@discuss.online
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

More like an hour (or two, but less than an entire day).

Tbf, a single jet like Taylor Swift’s flies “only” every other day (170 flights out of 365 days in 2022). So her jet might not produce as much as one person’s entire year - it could be a little bit less (like 1-6 months?:-P).

I have not researched it but I still wonder about the facts there: like if each plane can hold 20 people, and takes >12 people each trip (I’m totally pulling all these numbers entirely out of my ass btw), plus there are security considerations for her to appear in public and be mobbed, where innocents could be hurt e.g. an unnoticed child trampled to death - just how cost-effective vs. not is it, really?

Unfortunately we will almost certainly never know, bc our for-profit media will only allow stories that make us angry and depressed. Boring stories like “Boeing flights do not fall from the sky >99.9% of the time” don’t make the headlines or even the back pages.

I don’t know if Taylor Swift is right to fly by private jet, and I don’t know that she’s not, I’m saying we’ll never know, nor can we trust our media to tell us, nor our leaders to care (except in the sense of accepting bribes to specifically not care - probably not even from her directly but other business people like Musk and Bezos who want to fly their planes, and may be better at hiding how many trips they take whereas she could be more naive about her own usage).

You don’t have the power to fix it, no matter what they say. So be free and do as you please.:-) How we all choose to be is not about reaching any kind of goal, these days.

• dream_weasel@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Vote. Tell people you vote for that reach out to you that this is one of your concerns and should be one of theirs. Otherwise, we all just do the best we can.