As if it wasn’t bad enough that they want me to use a random internet service to add a keyboard to a usb wifi receiver, they have the balls to put this for Firefox users. I clicked out of pure curiosity, as I’m not even remotely interested in involving a corporate internet service in getting my keyboard connected to my computer. This is the message you get now on Logi Options software if you have a Unifying Receiver: This is the message you get now on Logi Options software if you have a Unifying Receiver

For the curious: https://logiwebconnect.com

EDIT: some people on the thread have brought up that the error message being displayed for Firefox users is due to the WebUSB API not being implemented by Firefox due to security concerns. This still does not justify having to use a web app to plug peripherals to a PC.

• voxel@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

it’s not a strict useragnent filter, they’re displaying this for all browsers that don’t have the web usb api
    firefox does not support it yet (support is planned afaik)

• InFerNo@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Never heard of it, so had to look it up:

The WebUSB API provides a way to expose non-standard Universal Serial Bus (USB) compatible devices services to the web, to make USB safer and easier to use.

How could it be safer?? I don’t want websites to be able to access my peripherals!

• voxel@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

you need to confirm and select a device before a website can gain access to it.
        there are multiple legitimate uses for this, such as:

• stuff like Arduino ide (it can run and flash boards in a browser now!)
        • hardware cryptocyrrency wallets (crypto sucks but whatever)
        • usb key authentication (can be used in big companies or something)
        • dai@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

It’s nice to be able to change my keymaps on my keychron keyboard, or configure my kbdfans RGB knob to have different bindings, but I really don’t want to install chrome or a chromium based browser for one weird trick.

I like my OS to be simple, I don’t want multiple browsers or loads of applications to manage different devices.