Does anyone have any experiences with these services like gollum Network? Is it safe? Does it earn you a net monetary gain compared to your electric bill? I have a pretty nice desktop that sits around for most of the day, just wondering what else I can do with it while I’m at work.

Please note, I’m asking specifically for people who have actually done this and what their experiences were, good and bad. I understand I’m not going to make tons of (or possibly any) money or start a business.

• jam12705@lemmy.nexus
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

You can donate the time to science:

Boinc

I’ve been doing this for severl years without any issues. Currently chugging along in a docker instance on my headless linux server, and I’ve found it runs well on most any OS.

• tun@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I donated my CPU time during COVID pandemic.

I saw there is LTT pool also donating theirs.

Though I don’t know how much benefit, it makes me feel great.

• Tippon@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

If you’re running the Folding@Home project through it, it might be worth looking at the Banano project. It runs the F@H program in the same way, but using credentials that they give you, and you get Banano as a reward.

On the one hand it’s a cryptocurrency, so take it with a pinch of salt, but on the other hand you get it for doing what you’re already doing.