• steeznson@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

The Roger Moore films are extremely corny and campy even by Bond standards - which is saying something! I’ve got a bit of a soft spot for them though. All the Jaws plotlines probably resonated with me as a freakishly tall person.

• Grabthar@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Not FYEO. It was intentionally written to ground Bond in reality after the absurdity that was Moonraker. He has one gadget, the Lotus, which gets blown up immediately, leading us into the iconic 2CV car chase. Even has Moore, well aware of the age gap between actors, blowing off the advances of the much younger Lynn-Holly Johnson by offering to instead buy her an ice cream. Great action sequences throughout, and one of the most kick ass Bond girls in Carole Bouquet.

• Blackmist@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

They were all a bit shit, but since I grew up in the 80s, most of the time a Bond film was shown it was a Moore one so I’ve got a soft spot for them.

The only one that was actually good was probably Live and Let Die, and that scared the shit out of me as a kid because I didn’t like the scarecrows.

• GraniteM@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

“My name is—”

“Names is for tombstones, baby! Y’all take this honky out and waste him!”

Love it.

• Akasazh@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

You’ve got a couple of seasons of the Saint to go! It’s basically Moore doing exactly the same thing!

• steeznson@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

I’ve got a friend who thinks Pierce Brosnan is the best one because he was “our generation’s Bond”. Both born 92/93 so Goldeneye, et al. were a sensation for us at the time.

Personally I like Sean Connery but that’s an unoriginal opinion. I enjoyed the story about the casting producer who wanted him for the role immediately because he “walked like a panther”. What a departure from being a milkman in Edinburgh!