• MaggiWuerze@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

The day I added the keys to my home server on my work machine was the day my productivity plummeted

• PlexSheep@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I wouldn’t want to do that, I don’t trust bad computer enough to work on good computer with bad computer

• MaggiWuerze@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

I had total control over my bad computer. It was more like that friend you like but who makes you do bad stuff occasionally

• PlexSheep@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Same for me luckily, but I just don’t like the idea that my work laptop has access to private stuff. For example, I made a second account for my git Server for my work laptop.

• monsdar@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

The worst thing is when everything is airgapped. Tasks that take 5 minutes at home end up taking a week because there’s always something not being available or whatsoever.

• Aurelian@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

And then sometimes you use a work server to design the pattern for the home server.

• Aurelian@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

The magic of the bad server is they have an R&D budget plus ops team so some waste while testing is covered, you tend to pay for mistakes on the good (home) server :P

Plus getting feedback from a good team beats a rubber duck XD

• solstice@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

My office’s IT helpdesk guy had a similar comic in his office. 3 panels of a guy at his work computer miserable, and the last panel he’s at home on his own computer happy as a clam. So true

• Pringles@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

This is way too accurate. With a buddy I even have what our wifes call playdates, where we are messing around with proxmox, containers and linux distros. We both have some old poweredge servers, laptops, raspberry pies and old phones to mess around with. Nothing useful has come out of that so far, although we’re preparing a lemmy and mastodon instance, so we’re getting there.

• boonhet@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I’d expect the work servers to be better because I can’t afford to spend thousands per server, but maybe I’m just spoiled with regards to work hardware.

• Kazumara@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It’s not about the server being strong or weak. Good server is the one you associate with your own projects and hobby, bad server is the one you associate with work and oblications :-)

• sj_zero@lotide.fbxl.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

For a while I was doing the work from home thing, and I found it hilarious that I’d be sitting in the same chair and it’d be like “CLOSE THE LAPTOP OF WORK! OPEN THE LAPTOP OF PLAY!”

• profdc9@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

If only I was in charge, everything would be perfect. Why can’t those morons get it right?

• Samsy@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

We got separated from the main frame at work. And got full control for our own servers. Don’t ask why our system runs 100% uptime without errors.