Amazon Prime, like many services, is a DRM hell. It won’t go to over 480p on Firefox on Linux at my end. However, instead of a rant, I am interested in why this is happening. Say, I rented the same film from YouTube Movies(Yes, such a service exists) and the quality can toggle all the upto 1080p but the same title on Prime Video is stuck at 480p. Is it because both services use two DIFFERENT kinds of DRM?

• mulcahey@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

But… Why? Why would they get different restrictions on the basis of operating system?

• ReallyActuallyFrankenstein@lemmynsfw.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

It’s whether the OS has hardware to make the platform “trusted.” Android does by default with Widevine, Windows does by default with TPM and Widevine, Linux does not by default.

“Trusted” here of course means, trusted by the company, not by the user. If it’s a trusted platform, it has a cryptographic key exchange space that the user does not have access to. This prevents a spoofed DRM certificate or other interception of the HD stream, which in theory prevents a stream from leaking.

“In theory” of course, because every piece of content is ripped and available DRM-free as soon as it’s released.

• Blackmist@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Because you could use the Linux one to save the file unencrypted because it’s not locked down.