• hydrospanner@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

The Autodesk forums are 40% this, 20% “just learn to program, spend a few years getting good at it, then write yourself a custom script to do what you are struggling with”, 20% “you are wrong for wanting that in the first place” or “you are wrong for having this issue”, 15% “this has been brought up once at some point in the past two decades, try searching”, 4% “OMG yes I have this issue too!”…

…and 1% split between actual helpful answers, and confirmation that it’s a known issue.

• TheTetrapod@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Yeah, I recently found a post there where a person wanted to modify a downloaded mesh. The first comment was telling them they would need years of experience to do it well. The OP responded that they had figured out a solution that they were happy with, to which someone told him that his results were shitty and then explained a way to do it better. When the OP got upset at this back to back dismissal, everyone unanimously decided they were an asshole.

• Gormadt@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

So much this

It’s infuriating trying to find solutions to issues with Autodesk.

But you did forget a classic one: “Hello I’m X from Autodesk support, you should open a support ticket so we can discuss this issue in a more one on one manner.” And then the thread is closed without a solution.

• VeganCheesecake@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

I’ve been happier worth with Bricscad, but I mostly just need it for designing stuff to 3d print, so your mileage may vary.

It’s also not FOSS, of course, but I haven’t yet found FOSS cad software that works for me.

• hydrospanner@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I’m only drafting for career not hobby at this point, so it’s all industry standard software.

One of these days, when I have a house, I might get into 3D printing, but not for the foreseeable future.

For 3D stuff, I’m good with Inventor, but it certainly has it’s quirks.