• SatouKazuma@ani.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

I just want to give kudos to the engineers who are working with fifty-year-old software to reprogram entirely a spacecraft that’s nearly a light-day away. Holy shit.

• Argonne@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

Imagine the xkcd meme but instead of waiting on compilation, you’re waiting for the speed of light!

• ggppjj@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Well, the tech behind the computer suggests the lack of a compiler, for one thing. I’d doubt very much that there’s even an assembler.

• ggppjj@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              1 month ago

It was being built before or just shortly around the time that C was being made.

Per sources found on Hacker News:

“The spacecrafts’ original control and analysis software was written in Fortran 5 (later ported to Fortran 77). Some of the software is still in Fortran, though other pieces have now been ported to the somewhat more modern C.”

There’s good discussion about it here also that may indicate that this is the ground software and was written in Fortran V, not Fortran 5. To my mind though, C was still far too new at the time for it to be the smart choice here, and I’d assume custom assembly along the lines of what was needed for the AGC is needed here.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=37963826

• Agent641@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Modern earth-based phones often don’t last more than a few years, then there’s gigachad 1970s tech floating in interstellar space still chooching.

• SatouKazuma@ani.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Yeah, I mean it’s basically running on a toaster. Crazy how much radiation the Voyager probes have to have sustained.