Update: Based on the discussion here and in other places I added the following (well, technically I did something different in my colorscheme, but in the end it translates to that)

vim.api.nvim_set_hl(0, 'Normal', {})

This reverts the weird text and background colors to the previous behavior of … not setting them.

With update 0.10 Neovim behavior changed regarding text color and background color.

I use a color theme that does not set those and previously this worked perfectly fine. Neovim simply used the font color defined in the terminal and had a transparent background.

Now the background is #14161b and the font color is #e0e2ea. Neither of the colors is configured ANYWHERE in my whole setup. Neither in the colorscheme, nor in my terminal configuration, nor in my Neovim configuration.

Is there a sane way to revert this to the old behavior? (i.e. use the font color configured in the terminal’s configuration and use transparent background.)

• 𝘋𝘪𝘳𝘬@lemmy.mlOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I don’t want to make Neovim transparent, though. I have an own colorschme and just don’t want the default colorscheme to be applied.

• www-gem@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Ok. If I have interpreted your post correctly you want to not use the default colors for values not defined in your theme (i.e. defaulting to transparency).

I see two options to combine to your theme:

• replacing any default colors using the command above
      • using the transparency plugin so any colors not defined in your theme will be transparent
      • 𝘋𝘪𝘳𝘬@lemmy.mlOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Yeah … so stupid. Why do they force that? If it would take the already defined foreground and background colors of the terminal, fine … but those colors are just made-up nonsense.

Your idea was great, though. I quickfixed that in my colorscheme by adding this line

vim.api.nvim_set_hl(0, 'Normal', {})

And so far this seems to resolve the problematic colors being set.