• Drivebyhaiku@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

It be like that. As a person with my first decade of union/non union film now under my belt and trying for the shop steward program I find it really difficult to convey to people just how stunningly bad the praxis on the Rust set appears from an insider perspective. It’s really difficult because people don’t understand how regimented the safety protocols in film are and how ubiquitous certain ones really are. It’s also hard for people to really grock power dynamics on a set. Like there have been people who have been banished instantly from set for being in an actor of Baldwin’s power positions eyeline. Any regular crew would have risked their jobs to try and appeal directly to Baldwin to be safer and this was the year after film was halted for upwards of 8 months due to covid and was slow to come back. There were a lot of desperate people in film trying to make back the debts they incurred by the unexpected famine.

People have been sentanced to prison on manslaughter charges in film for a lot less than what happened on Rust.