kimoramay-deactivated20170907

I was told recently about a school that was shamed into changing its school motto.

The motto was “l hear, I see, I learn” Nothing wrong with that per se. Unfortunately the motto was in Latin, and the Latin for “l hear, I see, I learn” is "audio, video, disco

wonderfulworldofmichaelford Obserwuj

What the f ck that’s the best school motto ever change it back

copperbadge Obserwuj

Your yearly reminder that “l learn through suffering” can be translated into Latin as “Disco Inferno”

• dohpaz42@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Maybe in a literal sense, sure. But I believe it’s more of a nuanced way of saying “I learn through suffering”. Similar in nature to how people use words like bad or hot or rizz to mean something that’s essentially good, while none of those words mean something good/positive (ignoring the fact that rizz didn’t exist until recently).

• ℛ𝒶𝓋ℯ𝓃@pawb.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Yes, and Google Translate is a huge red flag as well. Having taken six years of Latin in school I can confidently say that Google will lie to your face. Discō does not mean “I go / am going” (eō would be more appropriate). It directly means “I am learning” with “hell” in the ablative case, so it’s assumed to mean “I’m learning (through / by means of) hell / Inferno.” So it’s very poetic, but the given translation of “I am learning by way of hellfire (torture)” certainly works. I’ve seen stranger from Cicero…