What is considered the best/safest way to pirate printed magazines? On the Awesome Piracy-repo, there are some links, but they either don’t work or look sus (except for maybe magazinelib.com).

If you endulge in free printed magazines, what is your preferred way?

• loppwn@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

If youre ok with mainstream magazines like national-geographic, playboy etc you should take a look on usenet-indexers. With an usenet downloader with rss support you could also subscribe to certain keywords and get the new issues right after release in a separate folder downloaded.

• lunsjentilanette@sh.itjust.worksOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Thanks for the tip! I’ve always found Usenet to look too complicated with too high a cost for my rather limited use. But I keep seeing it recommended, so maybe I should give it a go at some point.

• piratetarip@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

I haven’t really looked into the availability magazines, but a block account (rather than a subscription) would probably last you ages, since I assume the size of each issue would be rather small. So that would be a small onetime payment.

As for indexer I guess it depends on what you need, but there are some with free tiers.

As for complicated I don’t think Usenet is any more difficult than other methods. At least for movies/series it’s a one time setup to automate everything and then it is extremely convenient.

• TwiddleTwaddle@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

MAM is a private torrent tracker with tons of ebooks. They definitely have a lot of magazines, but maybe not the most expansive collection around. They do interviews to join regularly.

• kirk781
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Mobilism also has a huge case of magazines/newspapers updated on its site daily. Not every magazine is available, but most popular ones are.

• GeekFTW@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    29 days ago

Annas Archive, DC++ hubs, pdfmagazines.club (site is nsfw as playboy and similar will be on the front page guaranteed), and beyond that just via dumps on torrent trackers like 1337x.