• Got_Bent@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

First, the globe would have to be solid and sufficiently dense to scale.

Then, it would have to be removed from any other significant gravitational field - such as the actual earth.

Then, the layer of water would be as deep as about half the width of a pin.

Then yes, it would work and the water would settle on the globe correctly.

(I am not a scientist and have probably missed a variable or twenty in this summation)

• MartianSands@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

You’re mostly correct, but hilariously even all that wouldn’t be good enough because water behaves differently at different scales. Surface tension would dominate in a miniature model, and the water would be trying to stick to everything in a way which oceans simply don’t do

• VindictiveJudge@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

I’m thinking where you could lay down next to the water on the beach and have the surface of the ocean slightly higher than the tip of your nose.

• Username@feddit.de
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

Probably absolutely terrifying, considering the water would cling to you and it might be impossible to escape the surface tension.

• Got_Bent@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I did think about that, but I don’t know how surface tension works. I’ll certainly take mostly correct. Not bad for an amateur who just watches physics videos for fun.

• ThePowerOfGeek@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

You may not be a scientist, but your summary is pretty much spot-on. And it certainly makes a hell of a lot more sense than whatever horse shit the flat earth clowns are pushing.